Missed out on UE? Helpful information from the University of Otago

November 19, 2019

Information for students who have not achieved University Entrance (UE) 2019/2020


Important Note: The University of Otago requires confirmation from NZQA that you have UE by Friday, 14 February 2020. So, if you have to complete any extra standards, make sure that you speak with your school’s NZQA liaison person to get your results recorded on the NZQA site prior to the date above.

Here are some suggested routes for you:


Complete the NCEA credits you require to gain entrance.


·         Your school is always your first port of call. They may allow you to complete the necessary credits.


·         Hagley Community College in Christchurch offers a Catch-up College to assist you to gain the credits you need for UE. The College will open mid-January. Phone: 03 379 3090, email: transitionstream@hagley.school.nz, http://www.hagley.school.nz/study-options/catch-up-college/


·         Logan Park High School in Dunedin is offering a distance NCEA Summer School to assist you to gain the credits you need for UE. Phone: 03 477-3586, email: pwh@lphs.school.nz or visit: http://summer.school.nz/


·         Te Kura (the Correspondence School) will also be operating a Summer School. Phone: 0800 659988 or email: hub@tekura.school.nz. Further information can be found under Summer School on the Te Kura website www.tekura.school.nz including enrolment processes and available standards by subject.

·          Te Kura Summer School key dates 2019/2020:

o    18 November: Te Kura team available to take any Summer School enrolment queries

o    25 November: Enrolments open

o    19 December: Summer School starts

o    5 February: Summer School enrolments close

o    12 February: Final work submitted for credits to count for 2019 Record of Achievement


1.       Complete an accepted Certificate in University Preparation (CUP) course, usually one semester.  Offered at some universities.  Currently Otago does not offer a CUP course.


2.       Complete University Entrance by returning to school. Then apply for University either in semester two or the following year.


3.       Complete Otago’s Foundation Year if you are eligible.  Phone: 03 479 5717 or see: http://www.otago.ac.nz/uolcfy/foundation-year/index.html


4.       Study at a Polytechnic, (normally one semester of successful full-time academic study at NQF Level 5 or above) and gain good grades.  Then apply for Discretionary Entrance. See: http://www.otago.ac.nz/study/entrance/unientrance/discretionaryentrance.html


Reconsideration of NCEA Results

If you believe any of your Level 3 grades are incorrect apply for reconsideration as soon as possible.  NZQA will reconsider Level 3 work quickly.

If you have accommodation in a Residential College

Contact the Accommodation Centre immediately as rooms are reserved for students with U.E.  You will be placed on the waiting list until you have achieved U.E. Email: accommodation@otago.ac.nz or call: 03 479 5100.


If you wish to discuss your situation contact your Otago Schools’ Liaison Officer.  See:  http://www.otago.ac.nz/administration/service_divisions/otago029897.html


NB: gaining the minimum UE qualification may not be sufficient for entry to Otago. For details of Otago’s Enrolment Pathways see: http://www.otago.ac.nz/study/enrolment/entrypathways.html