Thinking of choosing Engineering as a Career?

December 2, 2019

Entry to the Bachelor of Engineering

The first year of the Bachelor of Engineering with Honours degree (BE (Hons)) at UC is called the ‘Engineering Intermediate Year’.

Studying the Engineering Intermediate Year is possible for all students who meet the entry requirements.

What to take at school

To ensure you have the best preparation for studying engineering at UC there are certain subjects you should be taking at school.  Check the Pathways in Engineering document for details.

The University of Canterbury does not use NCEA rank scores.

What to take in your Intermediate Year

The courses you are required to take for a standard Engineering Intermediate Year depend on the engineering discipline(s) you wish to study in the Professional Years.

The Engineering Intermediate Year Required Courses Chart outlines which courses are required for each of the engineering disciplines.

Interactive Course Planner

The interactive course planners below can be used to find which courses you need to take in your Intermediate Year depending on what you have studied at school. You can select elective courses that keep your options open for more than one engineering discipline.

Intermediate Year course planner:

  • with NCEA at High School


Download enrolment guide to Intermediate Year engineering